"When I started my career as a makeup artist, Joe Blasco’s cosmetics line was a mainstay in most artists’ kits. Joe was well-known for his prestigious makeup schools, revolutionary formulations and decades of Hollywood clout," recants Mary Erickson, founder of Camera Ready Cosmetics and professional makeup artist. "I deemed his Ultrabase Foundation (and still do) to be one of the very best cream foundations on the market." Even today, the biggest names in film and television use this iconic product, including Kim Kardashian and Angelina Jolie.
Why I love Joe Blasco’s Ultrabase Cream Foundation
This creamy, weatherproof, ultra lightweight foundation is packed with pigment to effortlessly conceal stubborn hyper-pigmentation, blemishes and uneven skin tones without caking or looking heavy. A little goes a long way and will last throughout the day with just a slight dusting of translucent setting powder. The superior coverage of this product is unparalleled. With over 38 shades to choose from, it’s impossible not to find the perfect shade for your skin tone.
How To Apply Cream Based Foundation
The natural, clean, barely-there makeup look is today’s hottest trend. Most people believe you need a liquid foundation to achieve this “no makeup” look. That’s a myth.
For light coverage (to even skin tone):
- Generously apply moisturizer. (Your face should be very moist before you apply the foundation.)
- Apply six dots of Ultrabase Foundation on the face - one on each cheek, the forehead and chin.
- Blend with a Kabuki brush in circular motions to achieve a beautiful, sheer glow. For areas needing more coverage, pat foundation into the skin with your fingertips. For areas that need less coverage, blend lightly with the Kabuki brush.
- Set with translucent setting powder for a matte look. Not a fan of the matte finish? Skip the powder. Ultrabase Foundation does not have to be powdered because of its pigment-packed formula.
Best Kabuki Brushes For Blending Cream Foundation
Sigma: 3DHD Kabuki, $25 - Shop Now
Bdellium Tools: Slanted Kabuki #954, $20 - Shop Now
Bdellium Tools: Precision Kabuki #957, $23 - Shop Now
PRO TIP #1: Blend the foundation onto your neck as far down as possible. Also, lightly apply leftover product from the brush onto your ears to ensure all exposed skin matches your face. Don’t forget the sides of your neck, the collarbone and chest, and the tops of your shoulders if they are visible.
PRO TIP #2: Before applying powder, lightly blot your face with a flat folded tissue to remove any excess sheen. This “blotting” helps to set and stabilize your foundation before applying a setting powder. Blotting also prevents powder from looking blotchy and creates a smooth, flawless complexion.
PRO TIP #3: Never apply powder heavily. Only apply enough to produce a beautiful matte finish. If you can see the powder, you have applied too much. Lightly brush it off.
For extra sheer coverage:
- Put a dime-sized amount of moisturizer in the palm of your hand.
- Using a stainless steel makeup spatula and palette set, mix half of the moisturizer with a small amount of Ultrabase Foundation.
- Apply with your fingers, a sponge or brush.
For full coverage (to conceal imperfections):
- Apply moisturizer on your face, and allow it to absorb into the skin for several minutes.
- Once your face is dry, apply Ultrabase Foundation with a sponge or foundation brush. Blend well!
How To Choose Your Joe Blasco Ultrabase Foundation Shade
- Find the color category of your skin tone at the top of the chart below. You’ll see foundation color names listed below each color category. Every foundation color shown in the box will actually work well on your skin tone.
- When there are 3-4 foundation colors to choose from, they are all in the same “value“ (lightest to darkest). All of the options listed in that category will work on your skin tone. It’s just a matter of experimentation and preference.
- If you're unsure, you may purchase samples here.
Tag us in your Joe Blasco Ultrabase Foundation looks on Instagram and Facebook. For questions, comment below or email firstname.lastname@example.org to connect with a Customer Experience Specialist.
About Camera Ready Cosmetics
Camera Ready Cosmetics was founded in 2003 by Makeup Artist Mary Erickson. She dreamed of having a pro makeup showroom where artists could play with professional products without the typical makeup store attitude. Today, our team of beauty industry veterans work together to curate the best quality products on the market.
We partner with brands who respect the industry and formulate products for true working artists. You won’t find CRC in high-end malls, and we don't wear matching brush belts. If you want to play with products for a few hours and buy nothing, that's okay...come in and play! Our store is your playground.